Colin’s Hope was formed in 2008 after four-year-old Colin Holst tragically drowned in a public pool, with lifeguards on duty and family members present. Our mission is to provide water safety awareness, education, and resources to prevent children from drowning. Drowning is the #1 cause of death for children ages 1-4 and a leading cause for ages 1-14. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for each fatal drowning incident, seven more children receive emergency care for submersion injuries.1 While no-one is drown-proof, drowning IS preventable.
Our major water safety programs and initiatives are held year-round and across the country. Contact us today to host an event in your community.
AUSTIN METRO AREA INITIATIVES
- Community events and presentations
- School events and presentations, including service days, health fairs, career days and more
- Water safety and drowning prevention training for various organizations
- Safe Baby University events
- Member – Safe Kids Austin
CENTRAL TEXAS INITIATIVES
- Colin’s Hope Preschool Swim Safety Program, a two-week program dedicated to teaching students and families key drowning prevention strategies
- Support and restock life jacket loaner stations
- Member – Central Texas Water Safety Coalition
- Recognized water safety experts for Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
- Train and support Colin’s Hope Community Ambassadors, special volunteers committed to speaking about water safety in and around their communities
- Colin’s Hope Preschool Swim Safety Program adapted for one hour, one day, or one week segments of the full program
- Member – Independent Pool and Spa Service Association, Texas Chapter
- Member – Texas Drowning Prevention Alliance
- Member – Texas Public Pool Council
- Distribution of Water Safety Information Cards
- Speaking engagements and presentations
- Online safety webinars, in-house and through partner organizations
- Water Safety signage available for purchase
- Participant of US Consumer Product Safety Commission Pool Safely Campaign
- Founding member – Families United to Prevent Drowning
- Member – Association of Aquatics Professionals
- Member – National Drowning Prevention Alliance
- Colin’s Hope Water Safety Quiz
- Online Water Safety Resource Hub
- Support global organizations and prevention efforts
- Member of SafeKids Worldwide
We are a small but passionate staff, dedicated Board of Directors, and committed team of community volunteers and strategic partners sharing the vision of a world where no child drowns.
Won’t you join us?