Colin’s Hope was formed in 2008 after 4 year old Colin Holst tragically drowned in a public pool, with lifeguards on duty and family members present. Our mission is to raise water safety awareness to prevent children from drowning. Drowning is the number 1 cause of accidental death for children under 5 and a leading cause for ages 1-14. While no-one is drownproof, drowning IS preventable.
Our major programs/initiatives include:
- Creation and distribution of bilingual Water Safety information to families, schools, water parks, and youth based organizations.
- Sponsorship, and co-coordination of a swim safety program for at-risk 4 year olds. This program includes swim lessons plus on land water safety education, and is conducted in partnership with the YMCA and Austin ISD.
- Global dissemination of water safety information in the form of our online Water Safety Quiz, and our Water Safety Tips & Layers of Protection.
- Hosting and/or participation in many community based health and safety events.
- Annual Water Safety Awareness ad campaigns featuring billboards and print ads each year from March-September.
- We help stock life jacket loaner stations at local area lakes so that visitors can borrow and return a life jacket.
- We are a preeminent community resource for water safety and drowning prevention information for media, hospitals, parents, schools and community-based organizations. We serve in leadership roles on local, State and National water safety boards.
- We are founding members of the Families United to Prevent Drowning group.
We are a very passionate organization with a small staff, a dedicated Board of Directors and a committed team of community volunteers and strategic partners—sharing a vision of a world where no child drowns.