*** WOW!!! What an incredible crew Colin’s Hope has to support our drowning prevention efforts. Thanks to so many dedicated volunteers, 76,000 Water Safety Information Cards have been completed in 6 weeks. We have closed this project to new volunteers, however, please sign up for our volunteer list to make sure you’re the first to know about new opportunities. Thank you so much! Best Volunteers EVER!***
Is your project complete? Great! Thank you so much! We have revamped our At-Home Volunteer Program. A high volume of requests to participate in our program has necessitated that we redesign how volunteers return their kits. Therefore, we are now offering a dropoff option at two Austin Area locations: Cedar Park and Lakeway. If you are able to drop off your completed project, schedule to do so here:
If you are unable to drop off your project at one of these locations or during one of the following timeslots, please contact our Program Coordinator, Lynda Logan, at email@example.com to make other arrangements.
Colin’s Hope At-Home Volunteer Kit
The mission of Colin’s Hope is to provide water safety awareness, education, and resources to prevent children from drowning. One way we equip families is by distributing essential education in the form of 70,000+ Water Safety Information Cards each year. Each waterproof card includes a detachable ‘Water Guardian” badge and wristband. It is our belief that the appointment of a “Water Guardian,” along with multiple layers of protection, saves lives. For more information about the cards and to learn how to use them, view our webinar Using the Colin’s Hope Water Safety Information Card & Water Guardian Badge.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
To join our volunteer team by attaching wristband keychains to the Water Safety Cards (from the comfort and safety of your own home), apply for a kit by completing the form below. Volunteer families will receive one pre-packed volunteer kit containing all the supplies needed to complete 500 Water Safety Information Cards delivered directly to your home. Each kit will take 1-5 hours of time depending on your family size and ages. We hope you’ll join our team!
IS THIS A GOOD PROJECT FOR MY FAMILY?
Good candidates will meet the following criteria:
- All family members are healthy. In order to protect the wellness of our staff, volunteers, partners, and the families who will eventually receive the cards you complete, we respectfully ask families who have members showing signs of illness (any symptom) to refrain from applying until their household is healthy for at least 24 hours.
- You live in the Greater Austin Area. Unfortunately, due to limitations, we are unable to deliver to locations beyond a certain range. If we are unable to deliver to your area, we will let you know. However, if you are interested in picking up your kit from one of our three locations (Lakeway, Southwest Austin, Cedar Park), please indicate so in the comment section of the form below.
Note: This project is recommended for (but not restricted to) volunteers ages 5 and up. Because working with a keyring requires a certain amount of dexterity, young children may have difficulty with the attaching of wristbands. However, there are sub-tasks suitable for all ages. You can have EVERYONE participate by getting creative. Please note that some parts are choking hazards for children under 3 years of age.
HOW IS COLIN’S HOPE ENSURING AGAINST THE TRANSMISSION COVID-19?
The health of your family is a major priority. Therefore, we have put the following guidelines in place for your protection:
- Please ensure your delivery address and drop-off instructions are for a secure weather-proof location that you can easily supervise.
- Once your kit is delivered, leave it untouched for 48 hours* to avoid any possible transmission of the virus. If you need to move the package to a more secure location, we suggest the use of gloves when handling the box. Immediately launder or dispose of the gloves (as appropriate) when finished, not allowing them to come into contact with any other commonly-used surface.
- If you have a family member show signs of illness (any symptom) during the time of your volunteer project, please notify us immediately.
- Once you’ve completed your project and repackaged your kit, Schedule a Project Return.
If you have any concerns about the contents of your kit, you are welcome to use a gentle EPA-approved cleanser on the individual cards. They are made of a durable plastic material that will withstand cleansing.
* According to the U.S. National Institute of Health, Sars-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) can live on cardboard surfaces up to 24 hours. A 48 hour wait time will help prevent any possible transmission. For more information visit the NIH website.