The Colin’s Hope Team has been hard at work this week virtually learning at the National Drowning Prevention Alliance National Water Safety Conference. See below for a STAFF SHOW & TELL! Be the first to hear the latest and greatest in water safety & drowning prevention as the staff shares their favorite and most impacting moments from the week-long event.
Colin’s Hope Launches Virtual Water Safety Series
As families continue to spend more time at home, Colin’s Hope recognizes that there is an increased risk of drowning. Whether safety focuses on bathtubs, backyard pools, ponds, creeks, or lakes, water safety rules are important to introduce and integrate into every family’s daily routine. Follow the link below to see all lessons and activities.
Colin’s Hope is bringing fun and interactive learning experiences to you and your family! Gather children of all ages (even teens!) and learn about water safety in new ways.
Follow along as Colin’s Hope continues to introduce virtual resources via social media! Find us at @colinshope on Instagram and Twitter, and @drowningispreventable on Facebook.
Colin’s Hope Shares Home Tips for Water Safety During Stay-at-Home Order
Colin’s Hope is posting water safety tips and family activities on social media to help reduce the increased risks of drowning* and alleviate cabin fever during the public health mandates for social distancing. We invite you to join in and boost your family fun by following our posts.
Here’s what’s coming up next week:
- Monday, 2pm CDT LIVE on Facebook
- Play Water Safety Hopscotch with Colin’s Hope (Have your sidewalk chalk ready!)
- Tuesday, 2pm CDT LIVE on Facebook
- Cooking with Colin (Join us in the kitchen for a Colin’s Hope Cookbook cookoff!)
- Wednesday, 2pm CDT LIVE on Facebook
- Thursday, 2pm CDT LIVE on Facebook
- “The X-Effect” Lesson with Special Guest, Dana Gage of The LV Project (This lesson is great for older children)
- Friday, 2pm CDT LIVE on Facebook
- “Water Safety Science: Home Pool Safety Investigation” with Special Guest, Susan Tyson of Tyson Aquatics
Missed this weeks activities? Here’s a recap of our tips from March 16-27:
- Water Safety Science Monday: Orange You Glad You Can Float? Grab two small oranges (Halos, Cuties, etc.), one clear container (vase, pitcher, etc.),one marker and join us for a science experiment.
- Learn The Whole Hand Rules
- Bedtime Stories read by Special Guest, Kim Schults, of Swim Kim and Alissa Magrum
- “Wait For a Grown Up” & “Grown Ups Should Watch You” Lessons
- Water Safety Bingo Live (print your bingo board here and play along with us!)
- Backyard Water Safety Tips and Products
- Water Safety Bingo (downloadable)
- How to Make Your Home Safer
- Water Safety Activities (downloadable)
- Staying Mindful of Unexpected Dangers during stay-at-home mandates
* With kids at home unexpectedly and many parents either working remotely or still required to work outside the home, the risk of drowning for children increases. Kids are naturally drawn to water-related activities and they may spend more time without uninterrupted supervision or in the care of unfamiliar caregivers. It is essential that families give extra attention to the new challenges and dangers this change in daily routine presents. For more information, contact us at [email protected].
Colin’s Hope Urges Water Safety During Spring Break
Are you getting ready for Spring Break? Sadly, Texas loses at least 1 child to a fatal, preventable drowning during Spring Break. Alissa Magrum, the Executive Director at Colin’s Hope, joins Leslie Rangel in the Good Day Austin studio to talk about what you and your family can do to stay safer in and around water.
Please watch & share. Drowning is Fast. Silent. And Preventable.
Colin’s Hope gives THANKS on #GIVINGTUESDAY
Giving Tuesday, annually held the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, is a day dedicated to charitable giving around the globe. At Colin’s Hope, we believe there is no better way to spend the day than by saying THANKS to many of our Water Safety Champions – those who give so much of their time, talents, and resources in helping us do this work 365 days a year. Drowning happens year-round. THANK YOU to those who keep the conversation going from January to December!
MILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & HEB TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
Special thank you to HEB & HEB Tournament of Champions for supporting our water safety efforts and to Austin Independent School District and Mills Elementary School for adopting our curriculum Water Safety with Colin & Friends for their school. Together, we are doing so much more.
AIDEN & TYLER GLASS
BRADY & KRISTEN BENNETT AND WEST CYPRESS HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Your Giving is LIFE-GIVING! Water Safety Champions, Brady & Kristen Bennett, chose to GIVE a Colin’s Hope Water Safety with Colin & Friends Premium Curriculum Kit which will GIVE the students of West Cypress Hills Elementary School LIFE-GIVING drowning prevention education. This kit can be used for many years, which multiplies the LIFE-GIVING investment the Bennetts have made. Thank you, Brady & Kristen!
AMY & DAN BURCH
A special thanks to Amy Burch and her husband, Dan, who have taken on countless special assignments from Colin’s Hope. Your willing hearts and generosity with your time are truly a testament that “Your Giving is Life-Giving!”
COLIN’S HOPE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
THANK YOU to the amazingly dedicated Board of Directors of Colin’s Hope for your unfailing support of the Colin’s Hope staff, mission, and vision.
Colin’s Hope Discusses Winter Water Safety on Fox 7
Thank you to FOX 7 Austin and Dave Froehlich for speaking with Colin’s Hope during the Safe Kids Austin spot to talk about Winter Water Safety. We cannot let our guard down at any point as drownings are FAST. SILENT. And PREVENTABLE all year round.
Watch and share to help Colin’s Hope as we work tirelessly 365 days a year in Colin’s honor and in honor of all those lost to and impacted by drowning.
Colin’s Hope stands beside our fellow Families United to Prevent Drowning warriors and say Not. One. More Drowning.
Water Safety with Colin & Friends makes its way to West Cypress Hills Elementary
Thanks to a generous donation by The Bennett Family and Spicewood Vet Clinic, Water Safety with Colin & Friends has made it’s way to another Lake Travis ISD elementary school.
After attending the Best Day Ever Party to Prevent Drowning in early 2019, The Bennetts felt compelled to donate this water safety education tool to their son’s elementary school because they have been present at parties with nonfatal drowning experiences.
What makes programs like these successful? A committed, caring school administration that understands the need for drowning prevention skills. Thank you to Principal Melanie Beninga and the entire West Cypress Hills Elementary School community for accepting this gift with open arms. Together we can reach so many more children and families with this important message.
Winter Water Safety Tips From Colin’s Hope
Almost 30% of Texas children’s drownings happen during the colder months (October thru April). FOX 7 Austin‘s Dave Froehlich gives Alissa Magrum, Colin’s Hope Executive Director, the opportunity to speak to the need during a Safe Kids Austin spot.
Remember these simple tips as you pack for your holiday trips, and prepare for visitors:
- Talk to your family to make a water safety plan.
- Be mindful when you visit other people’s homes – How are their rules different than your own?
- Keep your guard up.
- Pay close attention and WATCH children around water, even when you’re not planning to swim.
- Never leave a child unattended in bathtub, even for a few seconds.
- Enroll in swim lessons and CPR training.
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season!
The Colin’s Hope Team
Bill O’Melia of Drennan’s Dreams Presents to Aquatics Professionals
Colin’s Hope was proud to host Bill O’Melia of Drennan’s Dreams Foundation for a presentation to aquatics professionals in the greater Austin area.
Bill O’Melia, Drennan’s Dad and founder of Drennan’s Dreams, spoke about the important roll that aquatics managers should play in creating a culture of safety in each of their facilities. Catch a sneak peek below, and learn more about Drennan’s Dreams at www.drennansdreams.org.
Colin’s Hope is honored to work with Drennan’s Dreams. Together with all of the Families United to Prevent Drowning members – we say #notonemore drowning and we will keep working to achieve this vision.
Traveling soon? Remember these simple water safety tips!
Traveling season is upon us! With Thanksgiving just around the corner many families are planning to visit family and friends or will be welcoming guests into their own homes.
Before you pack your bags or pull out the rollaway bed, take a few minutes to think about your family’s Water Safety Plan.
- Appoint an ADULT Water Guardian. Unfortunately, drowning can happen year round. New places are fascinating for everyone, especially young children. If you have a backyard pool or will near any kind of water (hot tub, lake, pond, river, etc.), please appoint an adult water guardian at all times – even if there are no plans to be near water.
- BLOCK access to water. Do you have a backyard pool? Do you have easy access to a pond or lake? Put barriers in your home to keep young children away from water.
- Share your water safety plan. Make sure your family and guests know your safety plan! Display a safety sign around your home, and take some time to share the plan with your guests. Going somewhere fun for a few days? Put your plan together upon arrival to help your family be safer near water!
Just a few simple changes in behavior can create a safer culture around water. Learn more at www.colinshope.org/tips and take our Water Safety Quiz at www.colinshope.org/quiz today!
Safe travels wherever you may go, and best wishes for a safer break.