Teach children to stay away from drains. Be a responsible pool and spa owner.
- “Hidden Hazard”, a Drain Safety Explainer from The Zac Foundation and Abbey’s Hope Charitable Foundation, gives an overview of why drains can be dangerous.
- A defective or out of date pool, hot tub, or spa drain cover may trap a swimmer’s hair, jewelry, clothing, body, or extremities.
- Teach children about the hazards of drain entrapment. Instruct them not to swim, play near or sit on drains, drain covers or suction outlets.
- Protect against drain entrapment by only installing drain covers authorized by the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (also known as VGB-compliant drain covers).
- Know where the shut off switch for the pool, hot tub, or spa is located.
- VIDEO: Consider Building a Drainless Pool. (Oasis Pools, YouTube)
- Check regularly to make sure your drain cover has not been recalled. Recalled Pool & Spa Products. (Pool Safely)
- Ensure drain cover design meets up-to-date code requirements. (Pool Safely)
- Replace flat drain covers with dome-shaped drain shields.
- Learn how to locate and shut off the pool pump.
- Install a vacuum release system. If entrapment occurs, the system immediately interrupts suction and halts the pump. (Pool Safely)
- Read all of the Layers of Protection Next layer: BE SAFER IN OPEN WATER.
- Take and share the Colin’s Hope Water Safety Quiz.
- Cracked, broken, and missing drain covers create unsafe pools, spas and hot tubs. Older styles may not meet safety code requirements.
- In-ground hot tubs, wading pools, and pools with flat drain grates or only one main drain system present the largest risk of entrapment.
- Equip new pools, hot tubs, and spas with multiple drains to reduce the suction of any one drain, or install a drainless pool.
- Take the free Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act online course (National Swimming Pool Foundation). Learn its compliance and inspection requirements and how to plan and conduct a survey of your pool, hot tub, or spa to certify adherence to the Pool & Spa Safety Act.
- Consider Additional Entrapment Prevention Options. (Pool Safely)